Monday, March 12, 2007

11 Mistakes when Making a Website

1. I've started on this site, but I suddenly changed interest. Now I'm going to do another one! Oh, wait, no! I changed my mind again. Argh, what should I do? Oh, I'll just combine all three together and make one large site. There!

If the idea of one topic bores you, perhaps you should rethink about making a site.

2. Ok, I want a site and I want it now. You, you and you, make this for me! Can you make me a banner? Oh and you make me an avatar. Wait, I want this here! I need 10 staff on my site to keep it going cos I don't know what I'd do...

Um, is this your site or someone else's? People can get annoyed by constant requests to make something. Learn about it first!

3. I am super busy and only have about 30 minutes each week to go on the internet! Oh, when you build your site, people would want updates, what will you tell them? If you're busy, then wait for a while. Don't build a site and leave it high and dry.

4. DO NOT give your details (login, password) to a friend unless you trust them 110% if they have revenge or anger issues, they may delete your website. I do not speak from experience, but you never know what people would do.

5. Don't stress yourself out. If your site is big and needs constant demands, then write it somewhere nice and big, and tell people what you will not be doing. You don't need a large amount of pressure built up, then you get so angry about it that you want to just take down the site.

6. Make your site to expect something in return! If that's the case, then you will be disappointed sometimes. Do not make a site because you want something. Do it because you are passionate about the subject, because you can show what you are great at!

7. Get really upset over people leaving rude comments. They are not worth it, seriously! There are so many people that just enjoy saying things to hurt others. If you are a beginner, then you will get better in time, don't believe what those creeps say!

8. Putting personal details there. Everyone knows this one, I hope! DO NOT put your telephone, address or anything personal on there. Email should be fine.

9. Be aware when you buy a domain, you are entering your address and phone number, email and all other details on there. People can acutally check it up using WHOIS. If you don't want people to track you because you have a domain, then get a host that offers Whois privacy. Trust me, this is a really tricky one!

10. Putting a haitus banner when you are away. That is uneccessary. You don't have to close it down because you're away! Just put a note saying you won't be there for a while. Perhaps ask a friend to temporarily look after it. Also, do not put it on haitus continously.

11. Having all these great pages up, but none of the links work. Yes, that's one thing that I do not like. If you have a page you're going to create, leave it as a surprise. Don't have 30 pages with links that do not work yet, as sometimes they never do. It makes me excited to see a page coming, but disappointing when it does not come for 10 weeks.

No comments: